I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sticky Saturday - Atlanta Fulton County Edition

Here's a late edition of Sticky Saturday. I've been slacking off today, but I couldn't just skip over the stickers. Today's sticker comes from a late 80's pack of Fleer, although I can't remember which one it was. Which is terrible because I personally pulled several dozen of these out of packs. I'm going to guess... 1988? Maybe? Eh, close enough. Here's the sticker.

This is the small logo variety which had two circular logos and four stickers with the team name on them. These would be useful for labeling team sets, but I usually ended up using the logo stickers and ditching the team name stripes. You could also use the stripes in place of scotch tape in a pinch as the strips worked reasonably well for sticking something together for at least twenty minutes or so. So far I've only showed Braves stickers on the blog, so why Twins & Sox all of a sudden? Well, because of what's on the back:

Good ol' Atlanta-Fulton County stadium, home of the Braves. Capacity 52,003. Average attendance 1,846. This is the place where I learned to love baseball. I got to march on the field on little league night one time and the feeling of being on a big league field was mind-blowing for a little kid. I'm not sure why Comiskey or the Metrodome isn't on the back of the card, but what the heck. This wonderful, generic, 60's era cookie cutter all-purpose stadium, that hosted pennant races, the World Series, dozens of terrible Falcons games and Olympic baseball is now a parking lot. They left the outfield wall at least so you can see where Hank hit #715, plus the outline of the baseball diamond is embedded in the asphalt. Gone forever with only shadows left to remind us of its former glory. Kind of like Fleer and its logo stickers.

5 comments:

Russ said...

My favorite memory of Fulton County Stadium: My dad's company supplied us with seats regularly on the first base side on the row where Ted Turner's box was. occasionally Ted would decide to go and get a hot dog himself or something like that. One time Jane Fonda went to go get a hot dog. She comes back with a chili dog shoved halfway in her mouth and some kid comes up to her and asks for an autograph. She looks at the kid, points to the chili dog she is devouring and keeps on going back to the box. I felt bad for the kid, but about died laughing at Jane's actions.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post about a bygone place that made a difference in your life. The book 'Why Is the Foul Pole Fair' has an interesting view of stadiums past and present.

hartmanj said...

I remember going as a young boy with my dad sometime in the early 70s and watching Hank Aaron play. I remember this because it started raining and we couldn't get a cab after the game and had to walk back to the hotel in the rain.

Chris Harris said...

Fulton County Stadium? Pleeezzzee.

It's just a pale imitation of The Vet.

Fleerfan said...

1988 is the correct year.

I think Fleer was starting to get lazy with the red & white stripes with the team names. They couldn't even be bothered to use the team's lettering style - just boring black text. Unfortunately this was a sign that the end was near for the logo stickers...