I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Super Bowl Cube Relic

I promised I'd show off the relic card I pulled from the Target five dollar football cube I opened during the Super Bowl and here it is:

1999 Playoff Absolute Tim Couch Team Tandems Jersey. Yaaaahoo! Oh but wait there's more:


Kevin Johnson on the flip side! That's why it's a Team Tandem card. Now, I've pulled relics from crappy Target repacks before, they are generally fairly common cards with nondescript little swatches from some minor star's jersey. I've never gotten one like this before. This is quite possibly the most spectacularly bad awesome relic card I've ever pulled. First of all, it's a card from the Golden years of Playoff, when they had cards that were thicker than some packs nowadays and were loaded down with foil. Plus the swatches are friggin' HUGE! Give this card to someone with some sewing skills and they could make a bikini out of this thing. Well, maybe not a top and bottom, but one of them at least. The card is shiny and foily and purple with enough jersey to make some sexy underwear, What more could you want?

Actually, some good players would be nice. To be fair, KJ had a decent enough career. 384 catches for 4595 yards in a 7 year career ain't that bad for a second rounder. He caught the first touchdown pass ever for the rebooted Cleveland Browns, so that's pretty cool. Tim Couch on the other hand, is the poster child for #1 overall pick disasters. Er, well at least he was the poster child. Guys like Chris Redman were starting in the NFL last year and Tim couldn't even get a job as a third stringer. Also, I'm not that much of an expert on football cards, but I'm pretty sure the late 90's Playoff jersey cards weren't actually game used. Don't quote me on that though and feel free to correct me in the comments if I'm wrong. It sure doesn't say Game Used anywhere on the card. It's an awesome looking card though, just one only a true Browns fan could love. I actually have a spectacular "hit" card much, much worse than this one though. If I can find it, I'll post it to Auto-matic later today.

So that's my beautiful dog of a relic card (heh, dawg. I made a pun) pulled from a cheapo repack box. On top of that, I still haven't opened the pack yet! This box keeps on giving and giving. What is your best terrible hit? Post it on your blog and I'll link it here. If you don't have a blog, describe it in the comments or send me a picture and I'll post it for you. Let's see those crappy hits!

No comments: