I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Less Skip

Skip Carey is cutting back on his broadcasts due to illness. He'll only do home games on the radio from now on unless his health improves. I didn't realize he was that sick and I'm pulling for him whether he calls another game or not. Three weeks in intensive care isn't anything to mess with. While I'd like to hear him and Pete do more broadcasts together, I'd rather have him around for a while so he can pick up his Ford Frick award.

Larry Munson had to to the same thing last year for the Bulldog football broadcasts and it was a little jarring. Due to bad commutes and bizarre work schedules I've ended up listening to plenty of games on the radio and the announcers really become a part of the game in that medium. Even though Scott Howard and Eric Zeier are really good calling the games, no one can ever match that blatant home team rooting with pessimistic overtones that Larry mastered. Especially with today's trend of bland 'safe' corporate announcers with no personalities on the air, losing a true character like Skip is a bad blow for broadcasting. Anybody coming up through the ranks today pulling the "our guys" homerisms of Larry or Skip's biting sarcasm on air wouldn't even be allowed to roll up the cables after the broadcasts. I'll appreciate the games he calls from now on a little bit more.

No comments: