I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, May 19, 2008

My Ebay feedback rating just doubled

I got a little pile of Chippers in the mail today so I logged into eBay to leave some feedback. To my surprise, my rating jumped from 390-something to 809. Apparently the eBay feedback changes have kicked in. Here's the changes that were made:

What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

The main changes to the system being introduced in May:
  1. Beginning in February 2008, we enabled buyers and sellers to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. In May we will provide credit for similar repeat transactions going back to when the system was introduced in 1996. This change will encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
  2. In May, sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.
  3. Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) Process.
  4. Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
  5. Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
    • Buyers must wait seven days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for active PowerSellers who have been registered for at least 12 months.
    • Members must leave Feedback within 60 days of the transaction closing (today members have up to 90 days).
  6. Removal of Mutual Feedback Withdrawal.

It looks like buyers can no longer get negative feedback from a seller (although all the negatives you've gotten so far cannot be removed, ever) but there are harsher penalties for buyers if they don't pay for items. Also you can leave positive feedback for repeat sellers and buyers once a week and have it count towards their rating. So if you're the type of buyer who finds a good seller and keeps buying over and over, the feedback can add up. I think these changes are supposed to prevent the "if you leave me bad feedback I'll leave it for you" mentality and encourage more honest ratings. The only negative I ever left was in retaliation to a seller, so I guess it makes sense. It will take some getting used to especially if asshat buyers start giving everybody negatives for the lulz and sellers get paranoid and start zapping people with a Non-Paying bidder ding two days after the auction closes to cover their ass. I suppose we'll all adjust and they'll switch it all around again after another ten years to keep us on our toes. Anyone else have their rating go wacky? Anyone want me to shut up about corporate policy and just post the Chippers?

No comments: