I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sticky Saturday - More All Star Edition

Here's another sticker from that All-Star themed set I posted last week. At least I think it's from the same set, who knows. I don't remember what year it was from and I'm too lazy to look back at the post so you'll have to figure out on your own. This sticker is of the classic Major League Baseball logo featuring a batter who is about to watch a high fastball go by for a called strike. The bat's still on his shoulders for Pete's sake, he'll never be able to turn on that pitch.

This card is a case study in why you shouldn't use the copyright date to figure out what year it's from. The copyright date clearly says 1968 on the front of that card, but that's the copyright date of the logo, not the card. That's not even Fleer's copyright, that's MLB's copyright. Nobody sue me now, this is for educational purposes only.

Here we have a cartoon depicting the 1972 All Star Game in Atlanta. Yes, that's Hank Aaron, and no, he didn't go 7 for 7 in the game. He did hit a home run off Gaylord Perry in the game, and Joe Morgan came up with the game winning single in the 10th inning, making the National league a perfect 7 for 7 in extra inning games up till that time. Gotta love Hank hitting a homer in front of the home crowd. I have the program and a pennant from this game in the archives somewhere, I'll have to show 'em off some day.

No comments: