I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fantastic Skip Caray Photo

Last night was pretty sad and I'm not even talking about Kelly Johnson's defense. If there was a Braves fan alive that didn't lose it when they heard Skip's trademark sign off, "So long, ever'body", on the pregame tribute then they're probably made of stone. Two things helped me maintain composure after that. The comforting voices of Pete Van Wieren and Mark Lemke calling the game on radio, and this awesomely ridiculous photo of Skip and a couple of drunks from Atlanta Braves: The First Twenty Years, A History. I found this obscure book at Book Nook in Marietta last year and it is just one of many great photos inside. This picture is from the 1982 Division Championship celebration and it really needs no explanation. The look on Skip's face as he surveys the scene is priceless.

2 comments:

Gellman said...

The drinking mascot is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

MMayes said...

"If I weren't on the clock, I'd be showing you young nothings how drinking is really done."

The thing I liked about Skip was his deadpan style of humor. That, and his ability to try to keep anything interesting during those horrid teams of the 80's when he had to make "Frog" Royster, Gerald Perry, Rafael Ramirez and Rick Camp seem somewhat interesting.