I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Completing sets with Sid

It's amazing how a trade for one card can end up with a 300-count box arriving in the mail. In this post, I showed off a page of Allen & Ginter that I finished off with a Mickey Mantle card I pulled out of a pack. Seader Sid left a comment stating he only needed two cards to complete his set, and that he had a pile of doubles to help complete mine. I had one, but not the other so I sent him an e-mail. Thirteen e-mails later and his set is complete thanks to my card and a co-worker pulling the Randy Johnson he needed and I have a box of goodies in my hands. Sid received card 328 and a small pile of Angels cards. Below is what I received in return. Let's check this sucker out.

40 Allen & Ginter Base cards:

This has really trimmed down my 2008 wantlist. For the sake of brevity, here are the best three in the pile as I see 'em right at this second.

158 Mary Shelley - Wrote one of the greatest novels of all time. This picture makes her look creepier than her book. Of course if you were married to Percy Bysshe Shelley, you'd look a little crazy too.

249 Serena Williams - She would be as dominant at tennis as Tiger is in the PGA Tour if she didn't have to beat her sister in tournaments all the time.

175 Chipper Jones - Who did you expect to be the best of the bunch?

The post that celebrated the completing of one page in my A&G binder ultimately ended up filling up 16 more. Not bad!

6 Allen & Ginter SPs:

Yeah, Pat Neshek! This card shows one thing that bugs me about this year's set... the pictures are too small on a lot of cards. I've been going through my 2006 set this week and almost every one of those has the picture mostly filling out the card. Pat should be at least 50% larger on this card. The pink splotch behind pat reminds me of a Rorschach test. Tell me, what do you see in this picture?

4 Allen & Ginter Flags:

These four complete the flag set. Now I can finally predict the 2008 Election by putting them all in a big pile, throwing 'em up in the air, looking to see which states land face up (Democrat) and which land face down (Republican), correllating each result with the Baseball Tarot, cross referencing with the batting averages of the 1937 Washington Senators, adjusting for park effects and then going to FiveThirtyEight.com to see who is up in the polls. Then, flip a coin. I weep for this country.

2005 Donruss Prime Patches Javy Lopez Past & Present Jersey #336/384

Jeez, look at the size of that swatch. What is this, a game used bedsheet? There are 383 more of these things?? I never knew Javy wore an XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL jersey.

2002 Upper Deck Tom Glavine Stars of '89 Jersey

This might be from 2003, I don't remember. The copyright date is 2002, but new year sets used to be released in November so that doesn't mean anything. Good looking card from back before Tommy turned traitor.

6 Braves Team cards!

3 1980 Topps:

Good News: three Braves team cards!
Great News: three cards of Bobby Cox!
Slightly disappointing news: None of the checklists are marked.
And yes, Bobby Cox was the manager of the Braves back in 1979. Chew on that for a minute.

1962 Topps:

1972 Topps:

1966 Topps:

One Milwaukee Braves team card, one Atlanta Braves team card and one in transition. If you look carefully you'll see the guy on the cover of that Hank Aaron 715 program I posted last April on all three cards.

1998 Pinnacle Chipper Jones Artists Proof PP-18:

DUFEX SHINY!!! I'm having to fight the hypnotizing effect of this weird card technology in order to complete this post. Any time I get a Chipper card I don't have I rejoice mightily.

2 Teeny little Chipper Jones jerseys:

This I did not expect. I think these are from one of those Upper Deck Jersey Edition sets. I'm glad I didn't drop 8 bucks to buy any of those packs now. Getting two means I have one to save for my Chipper collection and one to put on my Flaming Carrot action figure when I play dress up.



And the piece de resistance:

2008 Topps Football Turn Back The Clock Set

NOT EXPECTING THIS AT ALL! Now I don't have to buy a pack of Topps football every week! Sweeeeeeet! And I got two of 'em to boot! I don't need two so check back tomorrow... hint, hint.

Pretty sweet haul if you ask me. Thanks Sid! If anyone out there needs some 2008 A&G, Heritage or Goudey for your set let me know. I got tons and they are finally in order. I may take forever to get back to you, but I'll get there eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am trying to complete the A&G 2008 set as well! I've been at it for the past few weeks, but I've given up trying to put it together by busting boxes or opening packs after opening up 3 retail and 2 hobby boxes. The rest are up to trading. Let me know if you can help me out. My missing cards are under my want list here:

http://thenennthinning.wordpress.com/want-list/

Thanks!

Sid McHenry said...

Glad you enjoyed opening the package! It's always nice to find people who actually enjoy the cards they collect. Those who don't worry about book value, but instead seek the value of what the card means to them.

That type of collector will never get burned out.

I'm always open to more trades in the future, and if anybody else needs Allen & Ginter singles, I have plenty to trade!

sidmchenry@gmail.com