I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I Caught A Virus

A luck virus to be precise. Not familiar with the luck virus? Watch this and all shall be revealed. I'll wait...



Got it? Good. I could have just told you that a luck virus is a virus that makes the infected person really lucky - heck most kindergartners could probably infer that - but Quarantine is an Epic episode of Red Dwarf and should be seen by all.

Anyway, I have been lucky as hell lately as some of my recent pack breaks at A Pack A Day has shown. I don't know what's happening right now, I just have the touch. (even so, the M word shall not be spoken here) So it's fall in Georgia which means everyone in the state has allergies right now. I got stuck going to Target to pick up some Claritin. And since I was at Target... well you know what happened next. There was a fresh box of A&G so I snagged a couple of packs. The el cheapo box had recently been refilled with stuff including 6 packs of 2007 Chrome. I like the shiny refractors so I snagged a few of them too. I ripped three of the packs tonight and here's what showed up:


The first pack of A&G started off poorly. The first card in the pack was damaged and somehow the second card was absolutely destroyed. The sides are crunched, there's a big crease going through Jeremy's face and the back has a scratch on it that looks like it got caught in a machine. I guess this is one of the "pre-bicycle spoked" inserts I've been hearing about. The mini was pristine though:

Candygram! A one per case insert or whatever. I want to know how last year I couldn't beg, borrow or steal a single solitary snake, but this year I've pulled two sharks out of retail. Can't complain though, lets rip the next pack.


AAAAH! She's everywhere! Talk about over saturation in the media... WE GET IT, she's a maverick who eats mooseburgers. I go to Ted's Montana Grill for a bison burger all the time, who cares. Ok, it's really a slightly altered Curt Schilling card. I promised you all a MSPainted Palin card a while back and I thought it was a good time to deliver. Enough of that, here's the GOOD stuff!

Double-X mini card! I do believe I'm going to have to shoot for this set. It looks too good. Jimmie Foxx is one of the all timers too. Hall of Famer, MVP, World Series Champion, 534 lifetime homers and Tom Hanks played an homage to him in A League of Their Own. I'm feeling pretty good right about now, let's open up that Chrome pack and check out my shiny card.



Unscannable Jeff Francoeur card first out of the pack. I like the scoreboard in the background. Next was a Chad Tracy refractor then this:

A freaking autograph of Kory Casto out of a retail pack that was in the marked down reject repack box. I have officially obtained "Lucky Bastard" status. Now I have a card to write up on Auto-matic for the People tomorrow. Problem is I'm an avowed pessimist and now I'm worried about when the luck is going to turn. Will the pipes break and flood the basement? Will my transmission fall out? Will I get hit by a meteor? I shoulda let some kid pull the auto and kept my peace of mind. Actually the kids were probably too busy searching that fresh box of Allen & Ginter to bother with the marked down packs. Hey, I don't feel bad anymore! Hooray for pack searching kids!

9 comments:

Matt said...

The $1.59 box at Target is the bee's knees. I snatched up a bunch of 2007 Goudey last time they put a new one out. All sorts of Bowman iterations in there as well.

madding said...

I miss the bargain bins at the Targets around here. I hope they bring them back soon.

I've been having a bit of retail luck as well, lately, but it won't last.

Billy Suter said...

Red Dwarf?! Awesome! Stuff like this is why I love your site. I'm glad The Lady has been good to you lately. I hope she'll still be good, even though you've said her name over and over again.

deal said...

I enjoy seeing Sarah Palin on the Alaska Card a lot more than Curt Schilling's ugly Mug.

Anonymous said...

Every time I'm in Target I'm at the $1.59 box! LOVE that stuff. Bought all the 07 Guodey last time and got several s/p's and 3 Heads-up cards! And yes you have attained the "Lucky Bastard" tag.....but that's not a bad thing!

Matt said...

I actually went to Target today, solely motivated by the discussion around this post. Amazingly, a fresh $1.59 box had just been put out. Delicious, delicious 2007 Goudey abounded. Also some 2007 '52 Rookies, which I hadn't seen in the box before.

I picked up 5 packs of Goudey. Mattingly SP, Jeter SP, and a Johnny Bench Heads Up. Lots of rookies too...Hughes, Alex Gordon, and a pair of Tulos. I'm supposed to be concentrating on the Rutgers collection, but mini cards steal my soul.

Unknown said...

I feel like I'm stalking Targets, just so I can prowl through their bargain boxes! Best pull I had was a Signature Moves Troy Glaus on-card auto. I think I used up all my luck on that one, though. I got addicted to all the 2007 UD Masterpieces they had, but I've just ended up with about 2/3 of a set and a bunch of duplicates.

Anonymous said...

Run with it while you can. The next pack you open could be a Kansas City Royals Hot Pack!

dayf said...

I'm pretty sure my pack of Upper Deck X destroyed my streak.