I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

6 in 30 - 1983 Topps Binder

It's pretty damn hard to go through an entire 792 card set in 30 seconds. Dinged Corners granted me 30 extra seconds to go through my 1983 Topps set and I still didn't get through the whole thing. Good thing I had four of the cards in mind before I even opened the binder. Here are six cards from the 1983 Topps set that make me happy and as a bonus I spared you the Braves. Of course I might just post the team set one of these days, that was the 1982 National Leage West Champion roster you know...

Rollie Fingers

The first time I completed this set, this was the last card I needed. I couldn't find it anywhere and then my mom bought a rack pack for me to give to a friend for his birthday. Rollie right on the top. There was some, uh , substitution performed on the packs in that gift if I remember correctly. That kid ended up stealing me blind when I brought my cards to school that year though so don't feel sorry for him.

Billy Martin

This was a tough choice between Billy and Earl Weaver. Earl had the crazy hair and big grin, Billy had the shades/stache combo that made him look like a refugee from a '70s cop movie. The little tiny cross under the A bushed Billy over the top.

1982 Brewers

The Brewers went to the Series in '82, Robin Yount is a bad, bad man and holy schneikes look at Vokovich. Just look at him. Soak it all in.

BONUS: Personally checked checklist!

Jim Kaat Super Vet

This is a fantastic subset, it's too bad Topps only did it once. Wait, they did a Then & Now thing in 2001 or 2002 Topps Traded I think. What I'm sayin, is they need to do it again. I want a card with 1993 Chippah and 2010 Chippah in next year's base set. I picked eventual Hall-of-Famer Kitty Kaat for two reasons: Washington Senators and he was the only guy in the subset with a picture from the '50s if I'm not mistaken.



Not the first and not the last time I'll say this....


Tony Gwynn RC

Best rookie in the set, hands down. Also: one of the goofiest action shots evar on a rookie card. Ya got a nice view of Tony's bootie at least. Awwwwww yeaaaaah.

Now go vote in the poll over there and tell me what to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I approve of this post on just about every level.

madding said...

Gwynn does not even slightly resemble the guy he was when he retired.

gcrl said...

or - hall of famer rod carew (he converted)

David said...

I love the headband!