I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, December 11, 2009

Catching up - Upper Deck!!!

So I got this package in the mail a couple of weeks ago...


Note the "Time Sensitive Material" label. Nothing's time sensitive in my world, that's why it took me two weeks to post this. Anyway, I was not expecting anything at all from Upper Deck. I have no outstanding redemptions, I have never pestered them for freebies and I make fun of their CEO's name (What up, Dick McWillie! WOOOOOO) on a semi-regular basis because I'm extremely mature. So this thing came, and I was perplexed.

There has to be a reason for it, packages just don't send themselves. Maybe there was a redemption I forgot about? Maybe I'm a good customer despite the mockery and they wanted to be nice? Maybe I'm on their list of people who have redeemed a bunch of stuff and they're clearing out inventory? Or maybe, just maybe, they are trying to influence my extreme objectivity so I give them good press on this here blog!

I CANNOT BE BRIBED

Nope, nuh-uh, it just can't happen. No payola for me, I'm in this for the fun and the purity of the hobby and for all the hours and weeks and decades of free time it steals from my life that could be put to better use. I'm on to you Upper Deck! I shall be ruthless in my reviews!

So what's in this thing anyway?

A CRUMMY COMMERCIAL

Oh goodie. Tony Romo Discount card. Actually, I shouldn't be like that... these ad cards are much nicer than the boring decoy cards they used to put in the packs.

THESE DANG 20TH ANNIVERSARY CARDS ARE IN EVERYTHING

Look at this. JUST LOOK AT THIS. It's bad enough that they are sending me advertisements, but now here's some old trash from the manufacturing process. Of A-Fraud, no less! I don't need this junk littering up my house, hey Play at the Plate, remember when you decided to take Monty Hall up on his offer? This was what was behind door #2. Yep, this is your boobie prize. Don't you give me that look, you had a chance to take that Teixeira jersey and you got greedy and blew it. SEE HERE THE EVILS OF GAMBLING, GOOD CHILDREN! (Yes, I know... I have a better one anyway)

NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT

Yeehaw! Chippah! I already have that card, but any Chippah is a good Chippah! My objectivity stands firm, however, and I shall go to my local card retailer and stick my nose up at some UDX post-haste! Harrumph!

THE TRADED AND THE TRADE BAIT

I already have relic cards of Frenchy and Kelly, but I don't think I have a Dual one of them... I think this is my first Ballpark Collection card period. No wait, I got that one a while back and traded it for something... Now what did I trade it for? I totally can't remember now. Shows you how much I value Ballpark Collection. Heh, I don't need no stinkin' high end! I'm perfectly happy and content with my base sets, vintage stuff and cheapo junk waaaaaaaauuuAAAAuuuuuaaaaaaAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HUMMINA HUMMINA HUMMINA HUMMINA

0O7#l5@0-A!l7+l?b$_M5a!i&sTLABle7@ucrieFiUFOe?rIep

DISREGARD PREVIOUS COMMENTS.

I MOST CERTAINLY CAN BE BRIBED.

EVERYONE GO OUT AND BUY A LOT OF UPPER DECK CARDS RIGHT NOW.

USE THIS CODE:

AND BUY BUY BUY

UPPER DECK IS THE GREATEST CARD COMPANY EVER

Please excuse me a moment, I need to go have a lie-down.

WHO CARES ABOUT AUTOS, I JUST GOT OCTO-RELIC'D

A couple of ex-Brave prospect autos rounded out the mysterious package from Carlsbad California. I know I've got Josh's auto, not so sure about Lillibridge. They are a White Sock and a Royal now anyway. The Documentary signatures look better than I thought. The stickers are nice and shiny too! Hey, it's hard for me to be really positive, I'm naturally a cynical bastard. BUT I JUST LOVE UPPER DECK SO MUCH NOW. Goodwin Champions is a kick-ass set, don't you forget that.

Thank you Upper Deck for coming up with an absolutely ludicrous 8 player jersey card and then giving me the Braves one for no apparent reason! I promise I'll be nicer to you now!

Mystery SOLVED:

This package was the Consolation Prize from the Wax Heaven "You Call The Shots" contest. Upper Deck chose my doctoral thesis on how to create a retro set as the winning comment and was nice enough to confirm this in an e-mail. I had forgotten all about that contest and last month was so crazy that I must have completely missed the e-mail or posts stating I was teh weiner. It was still completely unexpected and greatly appreciated. From now on, whenever I get the urge to make fun of a certain CEO, I shall now take time out to gaze upon my octo-relic instead and let my mischievous impulse pass. I'll still rip the hell out of an ugly set though... Here's to no ugly sets in '10! Thanks again UD!

13 comments:

Offy said...

Excuse me while I head over to my blog and post some negative things about Upper Deck...

Checks mailbox...

Waits...

Anonymous said...

So why did they send these to you?

And how do I get in on the free swag?

Verification word: fluck

Flucking awesome.

Play at the Plate said...

I'm verklempt. Totally. You sure know how to kick a guy. And you can kick me anytime.

AdamE said...

You got it because you won a contest over at Wax Heaven. remember that comment you left to Upper Deck about getting the Short Print amounts right? They chose it as the contest winner.

Motherscratcher said...

Contest winner for a comment?

It's about time being a smart ass pays off.

Captain Canuck said...

I hate you.

dayf said...

Canuck - So you don't want the Chipper or the Josh Anderson auto that I already have? Ok, I'll take 'em out of your pile if you want...

And yes, this was contest winnings. UD confirmed that with me this morning. THIS WAS NOT PAYOLA. UD is totally legit and I apparently missed an e-mail or forgot about the contest or something. Thanks UD!

Anonymous said...

Hate to be picky, but why are Yunel Escobar and JD Drew ont he same card? They were never teammates, their time with Atlanta didn't overlap.

BTW, I wish UD would send me a package with some Red SOX. :)

madding said...

Wow. I should start entering more contests. For a minute I just thought Upper Deck was purging their inventory before The Man seizes all of their assets.

AdamE said...

Is it flatering or disturbing that UD came up with your address and shipped ou those cards.

They must figured it out from some past redemption.

dayf said...

cardboardicons - JD Drew doesn't belong on ANY card.

AdamE - They got my address through the contest. so no creepyness involved. They already had it from many redemptions anyway.

Captain Canuck said...

don't tease me dayf..

The Mojo Hand said...

Nice haul.


Jay