I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

1953 Topps Cartoon - #5 Ukes

I got busy last night and muffed my one a day cartoon post on the second freaking post. Of course I'm not the only choker in town and I can make up for it by posting another cartoon tonight. Assuming I'm not busy crying into a very large tumbler of vodka and sadness. Enough depressing, meet Joe Black.


Short printed Bum in the hizzouse. As nice as the front is, this series is about the back. Let's see dat 'toon. 


What is a 'ukelele hitter' in baseball?

˙ɹɐɟ ooʇ ʇıɥ ʇ,uɐɔ oɥʍ ɹǝʇʇɐq ɐ :˙suɐ

If that's the definition of a ukelele hitter, then the Braves are a whole goddamn ukelele orchestra right now. When we're eliminated today, the starting lineup can go on tour this winter as an indie psyche-folk jam band. I didn't actually choose this cartoon to bash the easily bashable, the sullen player wielding a uke like a war club makes me giggle. Here's the back of the card for context.



4 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I've always known the term "banjo hitter" but don't think I've ever heard ukekele hitter.

Kevin said...

Fun fact: Morgan State University (Joe's alma mater) is about five minutes away from my house.

Anonymous said...

Better than the hockey definition. Boston had a "Uke Line," so named because all three players (Bucyk, Stasiuk, Horvath) were of Ukraininan ancestry.

carlsonjok said...

That is a vile insult against Ukelele Orchestras