I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Old School Heritage and New School Ponies - Part 11

This post was supposed to lament the fact that Ponies debuted a few months after Dr. Demento's last show aired on June 6th 2010 meaning that all the ridiculous pony mashups that have been created never got a chance to be on the show. Then to my surprise, I find out that he's been doing streaming internet shows since then and never really left. Didn't find ponies in the playlist but April 7th's show has baseball songs!



And yes, I love this music unironically, just like I love Fish Heads, Bulbous Bouffant and Dogs Singing Jingle Bells. That's how I roll.


Here's a card of Roger Maris' 1962 World Series game 3 heroics where he drove in two runs and scored a third in the 7th inning to lead the Damn Yankees to victory. Problem is, that picture sure as hell isn't of the 7th inning of that game. Here we see #9 Maris on 1st base and #32 Elston Howard taking an awkward swing at the plate. In the 7th inning of game 3, Roger hit a single with Mickey Mantle on 2nd and Tom Tresh on 3rd and advanced to second base on an error by Willie McCovey. Roger was never on first when Howard was up in the 7th inning, so what inning is this? It's not the second inning, Maris flied out to right.  In the 4th, Roger grounded out to 1st base to end the inning. We know what he did in the 7th inning... aaaaaand that was it for Roger that day. So this photo isn't actually from game 3.

I wish the photo was sharp enough to show a pinstripe on a uniform so I could confirm this photo was from a Yankee home game. I have no knowledge of old-time stadiums so for all I know, this game is obviously being played in Candlestick and I'm barking up the wrong tree but I'm assuming the photo was taken in New York. All you SABR guys point and laugh if I'm wrong. I looked through the box scores and found three possibilities for this photograph:

Game 4:

Second inning - Flyball out to center.
Fourth inning - Groundout unassisted to first base.
Sixth inning - Roger walked. Elston flew out to right on his at bat.

Game 5:
First inning - Fly out to left to end the inning.
Fourth inning - Roger made it to first on a fielder's choice, Elston Howard then struck out.
Sixth inning - Ground out to second base.
Eighth inning - Roger walked, Elston flew out to center.

If this pic was actually taken in New York during the 1962 World Series (I can't tell if that catcher is a Giant, can you?) then it was probably taken in the 6th inning of game 4 or the 4th or 8th inning of game 5. That's all I got until MLB stops hoarding their vintage game footage like a dragon hoards gold. Can anyone else out there pinpoint this moment?

1 comment:

DaveH said...

Nothing definitive but since the catcher is wearing gray he is on visiting team. With orange accent shin guards could either be Giants or Orioles.

Link below to good resource for historical uniforms:
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=NL&city=San+Francisco&lowYear=1961&highYear=1963&sort=year&increment=9&=Display+uniforms