I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

January Vintage Show Top 20 - #7 Joy of a Completed Page

All righty then. A while back I showed off the cheapest '53 high number I could find. This one was slightly more expensive but I needed to pick it up. Behold Morris Martin of the Philly A's.


I love '53 Topps but the solid background cards seem a little cheap to me. They remind me too much of crappy '52 Topps cards. The paintings are still cool and all, It's just... I dunno. I want to see paintings of the grandstands with old outfield ads I guess. I passed up on Morris more than once until I realized I HAD to get him this time.


Morrie had arm problems in '52 but managed to pitch 58 games in '53 for the A's and hung around the league for 10 years as a reliever. It's actually a miracle he ever pitched at all as he served as an engineer in World War 2, fought in D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge and was wounded several times. Considering Morrie caught shrapnel in his pitching hand and almost lost his leg in the war he had a damn fine career. And he got to play on the same team with a guy named "Pecky".

So who did I have to get this card? I noted a few cards on my want list as "must gets" for a certain reason. This reason:


Joy of a Completed Page of 1953 Topps High Numbers including a Hall of Famer. Morrie might be the best looking card on that page, plain background and all!

Here's the complete list of Top 20 posts. See if you can guess what cards are coming up!

#20 - Wantlist Fail Part 1
#19 - Dollar Box Gem
#18 - At Least He's a Hall of Famer Now
#17 - Thurman Inaction
#16 - Cocktail Hour
#15 - Kid Stuff
#14 - Clubbed Cub
#13 - Cheapest High Number I Could Find
#12 - '59, Dude!
#11 - Look at the Whistler
#10 - Heartbreaking Taunt
#9 - '54 Ford With a Beat Up Chassis
#8 - King of the Bums
#7 - Joy of a Completed Page
#6 - HOW THE HELL IS THIS NOT IN THE TOP FIVE?!?!
#5 - Oh, because this one is...
#4 - Awwww, come ON.
#3 - Admit It, You Knew This Was Coming
#2 - Wantlist Fail Part 2
#1 - Feat of Clay

1 comment:

Captain Canuck said...

put me down in the non-existant poll for Solly Hemus as the best looking card on that FREAKING AWESOME COMPLETED PAGE!!!!!!!!!